Me: "Who has the best seat in the house, me or daddy?"

Adam: "Well, Daddy's is nice, but yours is best. Your's is squishier."

Sunday, July 20, 2014

Second Helping


Later on
in The Beginning, God created food.  And it was good.

I am so behind on posting, I have had a couple of foody events slip past which have gone unblogorated, so, hot on the heals of my last palate-pleasing post, here is a second helping!

Usually, I spin tales of Guy's culinary capacity, but he ain't the only cook in the clan.  I have been known to crack an egg or two without getting shells into the batter.  So for Father's Day last month I made a Thai dinner, sort of.  I hate instructions.  If you play a board game with me, be prepared for me to poke you in the eye if you try to read the instructions.  Let's just play once through, I'll catch on, and then, because it's only polite, I'll wait to beat you till the next hand.

So I perused a few recipes, collected the compulsory culinaria, and began blending.  I let my gullet be my guide, tasting and mixing until there is the perfect blend of sweet, savory, spice and tang.

For this meal I made:
Chicken Satay with spicy peanut sauce
Deep fried noodles (so fun, you must try these below)
Peanut and basil noodles
Tempura Broccoli (Not Thai, but the kids loved it)
and 
a salad with almonds and homemade orange dressing

(Not pictured:  Dessert of Chocolate Brownie Waffles 
with Banana Coconut Cream Cheese filling and Chocolate sauce - a guarded ancient Thai delicacy eaten in the Early Waffle Dynasty)


Next up, Guy's Yummo Mother's Day Pork


It was sweet and spicy, and an excellent meal paired with Coconut lime cilantro soup, an awesome chow-mien noodle dish and fresh butternut squash and yam curry.


Cuz he loves me.  Cuz I made him 6 babies.


Oh, look, there's one now!  Cute, huh?  
What can I say?  I do good work.

*****
Deep Fried Noodles
 Deep fry Thin Rice Noodles in oil.  Make sure the oil is hot enough by testing one small noodle piece in the oil.  It should sizzle and puff up like long, skinny popcorn!  It will look very white (see pictures).  Make sure you turn the bundle over in the oil so that every last piece of noodle hits the oil and expands, or it will be really hard and not crispy and fun.  My kids LOVE these things.  Eat them with your fingers, on top of salad (or under it!), or as part of a meat and veggie dish.
Delish.




No comments: