Me: "Who has the best seat in the house, me or daddy?"

Adam: "Well, Daddy's is nice, but yours is best. Your's is squishier."

Sunday, June 1, 2014

Sugar and Spice - A Birthday in Pictures


My baby girl 
has traveled the universe 
on this spinning planet 
for one full trip around the sun.  
What a blessing to have her.
What a gift she is.

Happy First Birthday, Natalie!




We had a quiet little evening yesterday with just the family, and then today friends joined us for a celebration.  What a fun weekend!
(Custom made cake by mama, with spot-application assistant, Jonah.  When I had my back turned, he rolled out blue fondant and cut out a dozen little circles!  We used them, of course.  He was so proud!  Look out, Cake Boss!)

*


Sisters (the Before)

*



"Cupcake, you have met your match!"

*


"You will be putty in my hands."

*


The After.
Move over Lady GaGa, this kid invented wearing food.

*
Saturday Party Time!!!


Such lovely young ladies; Kaylie, Ellie and Hope.

*



Sweet Ruth and my Natty girl.  Oh, and mama.

*



William, Joanna, Guy and Wayne.

*


My Running partner, Dani and her little Morgan

*



My biggest girl and my littlest.

*



A whole bunch o' rug rats.

*



Our Sweet Ruth, Steve and clan.

*



Revelers!

*



The Muffin Man and the Ethan Man.  In a battle of brawn,
 it is entirely possible that Ethan would be out-muscled.  
(At 6 months, Gabe weighs 18 pounds... two pounds more than Natalie!)

*



Natalie and Ryan.  Their marriage has already been arranged.  
She will be wearing a top for the wedding, however.  

*




Muffin and Muffin Senior.

*



What a darling.
Oh, how I love her.  I am overwhelmed by how she lights up
 the darkest corners of my heart, and quiets the chatter in my head.  It has been said by many that she has been sent with a special mission in this life.  I don't know what that will be, but she has already worked a miracle in my life.

*****

It was the sweetest day, but I spent several quiet moments in tears.  It is crazy the way the mind can flash on events from the past.  The pregnancy riddled with health crises, Natalie's birth, having to be knocked out for it, was so scary.  And that whole day away from her, and all the chaos around her.  I know there are moms that have been separated from their babies for weeks, months even, and I didn't have to go through anything like that.  And she was so unexpectedly healthy.  So many moms have sat by the beds of their critically ill babies.  I have gotten to spend every day after that first one with her.  364 out of 365.  Still, we all have our trials, and the memories of those days and those trials are pretty fresh.  I'll work on that, but I've decided not to judge myself about the time frames. 

At one moment, I told Guy how I was struggling to stay present.  Like waking someone from a nightmare, he simply said, "It's over.  That's all over."  And it is.  Sometimes it takes a long time to process difficult things.  Days like today make that a lot easier.


No comments: