Me: "Who has the best seat in the house, me or daddy?"

Adam: "Well, Daddy's is nice, but yours is best. Your's is squishier."

Monday, February 3, 2014

Little Lady


There have been days
when I swear
I am watching her grow
before my very eyes

 sprouting taller 
like waterlilies opening, reaching fast
 as the sun peeks over the edge 
of their little pond.

And flower she is
and flower she does

and though most days
she is still the girl that plays in the doll house
sometimes,
sometimes....

Sometimes I see wisdom open behind her eyes
as wings that unfold
not yet knowing the lift and soar
but soon to know that
and so much more

I hold her in my gaze
willing her to fix in time 
to stay...
stay in that place
that lets her measure her beauty in freckles.

I know better than to ask
that she stay
forever at the edge of womanhood

but, perhaps that those eyes
filled with possibility
never empty.