Me: "Who has the best seat in the house, me or daddy?"

Adam: "Well, Daddy's is nice, but yours is best. Your's is squishier."

Sunday, October 7, 2012

It Ain't Just a River in Egypt, Baby

I have been exploring the vast waters of denial lately. 
 It feels good sometimes to pretend things aren't the way they really are,
just for a bit.  
It can take the sting out of reality.
(Hey, shut up, I'm not hurting anyone.)
(Yes, yes you are right.  Therapy might be a good idea.)

This month I couldn't bring myself to clutter up my lovely blank calender.  
For a whole week I left the squares empty.  On purpose.  It was kind of a pain looking in my day planner for our daily to-dos, (um, you see, in the olden days, just after the invention of organized youth sports, people began writing things down in bulky calender books that they lugged around with them everywhere.  You couldn't make a call, play a game, or browse the web with it.  Yep, I still live in 1992)
It just felt so tantalizing - the thought of having a whole month
with nothing we had to do. 

It wasn't true.
Reality has settled in.
My calender now looks like it got in a fight with a dictionary and lost.


It was nice while it lasted.

No comments: