Me: "Who has the best seat in the house, me or daddy?"

Adam: "Well, Daddy's is nice, but yours is best. Your's is squishier."

Wednesday, December 1, 2010

You just need a hammer


I fully intended to walk while we were at Disneyland last week. My resolve melted by the time we got from the Toy Story parking lot (Woody section, not to be confused with the Potato Head section) all the way to the front gate. My foot began to shoot pain, so we rented a wheelchair, and boy oh boy, let me tell ya… that was awesome. Not to take anything away from those who use a wheelchair as a wonderful way to be able to get around, but what I never knew is that when you are wheel-bound, you get to go to the front of all of the lines. See, the park was built so long ago that all of the long lines that switchback and forth with ropes and turn styles are impassable by wheelchair. On one of the busiest days of the year, we waited about 10 minutes for each ride. 


So mama got “pushed around” all day (I need to mention here that Ethan will be waiting for his drivers licence until the age of seventeen (did I say seventy?) based on his wheelchair driving). I was a ready lap for a weary child here and there, and my arms never got tired from holding Jonah.  It was weird at times as the person pushing me would often "park" me by a wall, or with the strollers.  I grew a new appreciation for those with dependence on others for their mobility.


Tessa remembered the Pirates of the Caribbean ride from last year. Again, she rode with her head buried, but this time she peeked out once in a while. We are now inspired by her latest rendition of the ride’s theme song, “Yo ho, yo ho, a pirates left for me!” (I am so glad, I hate it when they run out of pirates just before I get one). And though it wasn’t quite as magical as it was the first time, it was still a wonderful day.

I have told the kids that next time we go (which, unless Disney runs another volunteers-get-in-free day, will be years down the road), we will do Ro-Sham-Bo (paper, rock, scissors) and then will crack the loser on the toe with a hammer. Hey, we all have to take one for the team once in a while, right?






No comments: