Me: "Who has the best seat in the house, me or daddy?"

Adam: "Well, Daddy's is nice, but yours is best. Your's is squishier."

Sunday, May 23, 2010

Moments

"Mom, I sink you din'ent notice you got Effan colored-food ceweal. Did you not look and buyed it cuz you fohgot to look?"

I guess that day I became a hypocrite. I almost always refuse to buy anything with food coloring in it. But I break my rule for the kid's birthdays with sugary, colorful cereal, M&M's and neon cake frosting.

Apparently, to Tessa, I broke more than just my rule.

*****
Adam called from camp at 8:30 the other night to wish Ethan a happy birthday. He had borrowed two quarters so that he could make the call. Ethan's eyes welled up with tears.

*****
Ethan: "Dad, can you help me with this problem?"
.
Me: "Do you want me to help you, Ethan?"

Ethan: "No offense mom, but I think dad would be able to help me better with this one."

"Your mom can do decimals and fractions." His father called out in my defense.
.
I am glad he couldn't see the freaked out look on my face.
This time, I think Ethan was right.
*****
Ellie sat and watched me dress today. She stared at my belly-dome.

"Are you going to have babies when you grow up?" I asked.
.
"No."
She replied abruptly.
.
Surprised, I smiled back, "Oh, once this baby is born you will change your mind and want twenty."
.
"How do you know?" she said intensely. "Mine might turn out ugly."

I tried not to laugh.
.
"What do you do if they're ugly?" I asked.

"Sell them." she said bluntly.

*****
Tessa tripped and skinned her toe. She was sure she was dying. As the drama escalated, she was certain that a mere bandaid would not be enough.
.
"Maybe we should go to the hospital." I suggested.
.
"No!!!" she bellowed. "Dey will cut me in ha-a-aaaaaaffffff!!!"

No comments: