Me: "Who has the best seat in the house, me or daddy?"

Adam: "Well, Daddy's is nice, but yours is best. Your's is squishier."

Monday, October 19, 2009

Fallin' in love all over again

This is (some of) why I love Sonoma County.

Once a year there is an open studio tour of artists homes, where you can see their art and work spaces and enjoy the beauty of the amazing landscape. Every year Guy and I make a pilgrimage to go to ARTrails.















We meander through oak lined lanes to find artist's homes.

Nichibei Pottery was our first stop this year. We indulged ourselves in some of Mikio and Cheryl's pottery. There is something so magical about eating out of the pottery made by the hands of good and grateful people. Cheryl thanks us a thousand times for our little purchase, and says that because of folks like us they get to do the work they love and still make a living. I am grateful and inspired. I love that, it this world of plastic dishes made by machines, I can see the finger markings of these good people in the pieces we use at our table. I tell her so, and she gets goosebumps, and tells me that's magical.



Mikio demonstrates his carving technique.


We wander through the crowded work spaces, shelves crowded with tiny sculptures, while outside, giant sculptures loom over us.


Dinner at Checkers: Butternut squash tortellini, smoked chicken, cranberries, and candied walnuts in a shallot cream sauce. Too full for dessert.


A day of art, nature, good food and my sweetie.




What's not to love?

2 comments:

rebekahmott said...

What a great day!! I love that you are able to enjoy the talents of others.

4 Kids and Done Counting said...

Great pictures Laine!